Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

A few months ago, I told my mom that I wanted to host Christmas Day at my house this year.  I wanted the kids to be able to stay with all of their new toys and not have to worry about getting the whole family (and a bunch of gifts) out the door by 10 am.  She wasn't too thrilled with the idea because she still wanted to host some kind of Christmas at her house.  So we compromised.  I did get Christmas (brunch and dinner) and she had us over for a lovely, New Jersey style, Christmas Eve lunch.

New Jersey style meant Christmas food the way we grew up.  Ham sandwiches, potato salad and cheese and salami.  Followed up by Christmas cookies.  The idea sounded so good but I remember it all tasting better back in Jersey.

The yummy spread.  It was very good but we have broadened our culinary horizons since leaving the good old Garden state.

Uncle Michael's turkey because he doesn't eat pig.  He didn't want his meal to be left out of the photo so I gave it a close up.

'Munchkin' hung out in her swing and enjoyed playing with the birds.





After lunch, we had some business to attend to.  'The Boy' had to prepare for Santa's big arrival.  We had letters to write and treats to make.  We talked it out, and decided that Santa would be getting enough cookies on Christmas Eve.  We decided to make him a special rice krispie treat.

Of course it was a train...what else?

'The Boy' had so much fun helping and more fun sucking the icing out of the tube.
 
He would not let go!

Meanwhile, this one worked on her sitting skills.  She's so close!

Hanging out with Uncle Michael.

After I cleaned up a layer of icing off the kitchen counters, we settled in front of the tree to open a couple of gifts.  A tradition growing up was to get pj's on Christmas Eve to wear for that night.  My mom carried on the tradition for the kiddos.

My mom's beautiful tree.


She'll eat anything these days.





Thanks for my Talking Toby, Gigi and Pop.

Opening ornaments.


When we were opening presents, the doorbell rang and Uncle Michael got a package.  Turned out to be a book he had shipped tomy parents house.  I love his enthusiasm for education.

We wrapped things up at my parents house and thought we would be able to head out to church but realized we had missed the last service.  Oh, well.  The Johnson's headed down to Fallbrook to 'The Hubs' Aunt's house for Christmas Eve dinner. 

 The kids exchange gifts with their cousins.



'Munchkin' got to meet her Great-grandma Meagher for the first time.

We had a fun night visiting with 'The Hubs' family.  We had leave a bit early though.  We had to get home to prep for the big man's arrival. 

No comments: