Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Beatin' the Heat

(Note: I am so behind on posts!)

A couple of weeks ago, it was h.o.t!  I think we hit 111 degrees at some point.  Yikes!  I could not figure out what we were going to do during our (short lived) heat wave besides stay in the house all day and if you have kids, you know that more than one day of that is like being in that other place that averages way higher temperatures.

So, the only thing that I could come up with was getting the heck out of town.  I spent two days (in a row and drove home in between) in beautiful, yet still hot, San Diego.  I thought it was a brilliant idea but we still ended up sweating it out.  I can't even imagine what it was like at home.

The first day, my friend, Julie, and I took the kiddos to Sea World.  I just bought a 2 year season pass.  You'll be seeing a lot of Shamu here in the future.  'The Boy' took a nap on the way down there and was so well behaved for the whole afternoon.  Not one single meltdown!  I didn't get a whole lot of pictures because I was trying to take care of Chelsea at the same time.  She was great, too.  She's the easiest baby.

Riding in quite possibly the largest contraption I have ever had to handle.

Checking on his "little sweetie".

We took him to see the bat rays and "Miss Julie" gave him a boost so he could see the action.  Guess what?

Not a fan!


I love the bat rays!  They just swim right up to you, hoping for food, and don't even mind when you pet them without giving them a snack.  I touched them, and tried to coax 'The Boy', saying, "see, Mommy does it and it's not scary". He was not having it.  He started to warm up a bit and would at least look at them from the side but would not touch them.    Guess what else he was scared of...seagulls.    
     
Checking it out from the sidelines.

Watching the sea lions bark.

Watching the penguins on TV.  He was more interested in the tv show than the actual penguins.  Go figure!

The very next day, my mom and I took the littles to La Jolla with hopes of letting 'The Boy' splash around in the tide pools.  It was a Wednesday and there was no place to park.  Nowhere!  Don't people work anymore?  We ditched that idea real fast because we were hungry and drove around a bit before finding the mall.  We ate some food and shopped for new shoes for 'The Boy'.  Then we watched him run around the outdoor play area before he spotted the train.  Then he was full speed ahead, running for a train ride.


It was nice to be able to get away from the heat of the Inland Empire.  I know that most people can't just get away like that and I'm so thankful that we live where we do.  We are one hour from San Diego, Orange County and the mountains.  All of the fun just a short drive away.  I guess it is worth the scorching summers.

No comments: